#3 Secrets to Fixing Imposter Syndrome
Imposter syndrome is the inner doubt a person experiences when they believe they lack the competence or capabilities to pursue a certain cause even though they possess such competence or capabilitites. They may even feel fraudulent to think they have such competence. Others may see that they are capable but they still doubt themselves.
If you have ever felt this way, you are not alone. This condition affects nearly every one. Successful not so successful people struggle with the condition. It does not matter who you are, this creeps into our minds now and again!
Many of us have devised a means of coping with imposter syndrome. What is your best way of dealing with it? It is not classified as a mental condition but could be mentally draining.
How Does Imposter Syndrome Affects People?
Imposter syndrome if left unchecked, paralyzes a person's ability from taking decisions or being innovative. Since they believe they do not have the competence or capabilities, they do not try or improve in what they do. It is so sad to watch often high-achieving people not taking the action required to take them to the next level. The following are common effects:
- Fear and anxiety. Since they believe they are incompetent, they contantly fear they will soon be exposed, making them anxious and unable to take action.
- Prevents Innovation. When a person refuses to take action on a new project, nothing is created.. No new ideas, services,products or technology. They remain stuck in the old way of doing things. They are too scared to try new things that may benefit them.
- Low self esteem. A person who suffers from imposter syndrome could suffer from low self esteem. They are competent individauls who do not feel confident to accomplish what they want. Their inaction leads to frustrations and low self esteem, seeing themselves as failures.
- They often wait to be perfect before they can take on new tasks. Fearing failure, they set unreasonable standards for themselves.
- No credit for any success they may have as they feel it was the work of external factors and not themselves.
- They are very sensitive to criticism. They may see criticsm as an enforcement to their doubt that they were not good in the first instance and stop trying!
- It affects their management of time and other resources . They may procastinate, always waiting for a better time that never comes.
How to Overcome Imposter Syndrome?
Imposter syndrome occurs when we take on new challenges. Since we are not familiar with this new environment, it creates anxiety. We may never stop self-doubts, high achievers, very successful people still have doubts and feel like imposters sometimes. But we can control and stop it from preventing us from taking action on important things. How? Try these three suggestions:
- Love what you do and those you serve. If you love and enjoy what you do, it will motivate you to keep going, keep pushing. Also, if you love the people you serve, the focus moves from you to them. You become less anxious. When you are interested in people, they notice. We want to be with people who treat us nice than people who are experts. Be human and, you will be fine.
- Never try to be perfect. It does not exist. You will be placing too much pressure on yourself if you expect perfection. Also, f you always wait to figure it out, it never happens. Start working and learn as you go. Experts were once novices. If you are assigned a task or an idea comes to you, do it. It is because you are capable of succeeding that is why it came your way. Start, you will perfect it later!
- It is okay to get it wrong. Imposter syndrome makes you worry that people will soon find out you are not as good as they believe. And the only way they find out is when you fail. So, there is this constant worry of failure. Assuming you are travelling from point 1 to point 2. And you have multiple road choices. And only one takes you to your destination. If you do not try to get on the road, you will never figure it. If you got it wrong the first time, at least you know it is probably the next road or the one after. And you get to your destination after several tries. A stationary vehicle never gets to its destination. Keep moving and, you will get there eventually. It is okay to be wrong.
Tell your inner voice you can do it! And consistently do so.
As a course creator, I look at anything that may stop my students from taking the actions required to move to the next level. Signup for my newsletter to get more of this.
Are you a mom who loves writing and would love to write a book and get published? Please signup from my course, from zero writing to hero writer and join my Facebook group by clicking on the button below and follow my other social media platforms:
Like this post? Share it!
There is also a Facebook group for moms who want to write.
Let's Connect, Sign Up For My Newsletter Below: